Monday, 18 March 2013

2 more weeks!

    I can't believe there's only 2 more weeks left at school.  This semester past by so quickly, its unbelievable.  I've learned a lot from this course, more than I actually thought I would to be honest.  Symbolic statements, the proper negation of statements, laws, axioms in symbolic logic etc etc.  I think thats where most of my learning came from in this course.  I also learned proper proof structures that which I did not know actually existed!  The indentation rules were all very new to me, as I'm used to just writing proofs free-handedly without any structure which is what we kind of do in math.

    I must say I'm also very happy to be in such a good department.  In comparison to the math department, the computer science department is so much better organized, and there are a lot more resources than in math.  The way the courses introduce proofs and concepts is done better than the math department.  I know CSC236 introduces induction and I can see very well that 165 does a good job at "seeding" the concept by the whole implication concept.  For example, you assume some statement is true for k, then if it is true for k, then it must be true for k+1.  In math, it was just straight diving into induction which I found very difficult and rushed.  Anyways, I'll post up my problem solving session sometime soon.


Cheers, Patrick

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Computer Science Department rocks!! I, myself, took quite many math courses, and I shouldn't probably say this, but I didn't like it as much as I like com sci department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I actually really enjoy the comp sci department and I am actually very happy that I'm a part of it now. I found there were very little to no resources. Are you doing your masters by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I'm an undergrad. One more year to graduate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow really? So you're actually a third year student?

    ReplyDelete