So, as the second week of the term comes to an end, I've concluded two things about this course. The first is that I realize there will not be any actual mathematics being used in this course, even though its called mathematical expression. Second is that I've realized its purely based on symbolic logic. I've realized why this is such a crucial course in the computer science department. The use of symbolic logic helps you develop critical thinking processes and skills required for programming or that may be very useful in programming. Sometimes when I'm reading over someones code and I try to decipher their code or make sense of what they're trying to do, its tough. There will be while loops over for loops over a while loop with a counter in the back, etc, etc, and it gets all boggled up in your head. Courses like 165 will help with these type of situations and thinking steps. I realized this, this week, during lecture when Danny was using tons of symbols in the scope of quantifiers with sets and subsets etc etc.
Anyways, that's what I thought of this weeks lecture.
Thanks for reading, Patrick.
Yes, this course or better the first half of it, is about logic. If you understand the way of thinking you're introduced to, you will be perfectly fine. Hmm, as for the symbols, they will become second nature to you after a little practicing. :)
ReplyDeleteI really hope so! The general fundamental symbols like "for any" and "there exists" are familiar to me, however, with the "and" and "or" symbols, I've never seen them in math before, so its become a bit more abstract for me. Thanks for the reassurance!
ReplyDeleteOh come on! Two extra symbols.. that's not too much! ^^
ReplyDeletehey, its my 165 TA!
ReplyDeletehaha, yeah its getting a little bit more confusing now. I guess i spoke too soon.
It has always been me! Maybe my old username was misleading. :)
ReplyDelete